I can work on your project.

Find me! Call DAP at 214.350.7678 or email rene@dallasaudiopost.com. Also check out echocollectivefx.com for custom sfx, and tonebenders.net for my podcast.

Thursday, November 8

a twitter converation about piracy



edited to remove the persistent "@" callabacks (for readability)
original link


Jack Menhorn
Bummed that he even thought of asking the question: ‪http://socialsounddesign.com/questions/3928/pirate-audio-samples-how-risky-is-it-really …‬ ‪#piratessuck‬

Frank Bry ‏
‪@KomradeJack‬ Wow, he admits to theft. Even for personal use, stealing sounds is not a good idea and the Universe does not look kindly on you

Jack Menhorn ‏
‪Just noticed it was 2 years old and someone named "mikol" resurrected it.

Jack Menhorn
‪mikol saw all those replies and still replied trying to justify.

rene_coronado
@KomradeJack @idaho_recordist there is a warez culture out there that the replies ignore.  the OP is probably culture shocked by the resp...

rene_coronado
...and his contemporaries would probably scoff at it.  our replies should always remain aware of that.

rene_coronado
not critiquing the responses.  just noting what I know is a disconnect between the two worlds.

KomradeJack
I suppose im a bit astonished someone in that warez-culture would still not realize piracy ≠ professionalism

KomradeJack
"Hey I need to record some ambiences, better go steal a stereo mic from Guitar Center"

rene_coronado
don't be.  think of the beginnings of the hip hop sampling culture.  many professionals came from those roots.

rene_coronado
the kid's trying to make the turn.  he should be encouraged, not slapped down.  my .02

KomradeJack
Not entirely sure that's this case, but I understand the sentiment. We all start somewhere.

Frank Bry
Yes, at least he wanted to make it right. I hope things worked out for him. Every game I work on I have to...

Frank Bry
 … I Warrant that I have license to use ANY audio I do for the client or they come after my ass.

rene_coronado
yep.  this kid is trying to learn that skill.  he should be encouraged IMO.

Frank Bry
Disney was the 1st client to require proof from me that I owned licenses for the assets I used.

rene_coronado
I believe it.  we had to really re-work our echo collective license to sell it to warner games.

Frank Bry
yep. Ditto.

Frank Bry
It's REALLY cold outside but I'm going to go out and record the crazy wind right now anyway.


No comments: